Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Missionary baby steps

This is our missionary district...our mission buddies for the next 6 weeks.

We travel to Gouda (howda, 40 min.) each Tues. for district meeting.  We have learned so much from these meetings!  They work hard on how to approach people and present the message of the restored gospel.  They are serious in their work and so willing to help us.  Elder Torrie chose the hymn for next week so we can learn the words and sing along (they sing and pray in Dutch but the rest of the meeting is in English). They work with us to practice talking to the people we meet.  They feed us lunch (spaghetti...so far it is spaghetti with sauce....period!) It is our turn to feed the district next meeting so I will have to treat them to a complete  meal!



We were able to give a Book of Mormon to our Landlord.  He was so sweet.  He wants to see us again, to visit us in our home and have us bring our grandchildren to see them.  He will help us with our Dutch.  I accidentally ended up with one of his towels in my laundry so I have a great reason to go visit them.  When I shared this at district meeting yesterday the missionaries were crazy excited!  They were so tickled with "their couple"!   We really want to share our testimonies while we are here and not just with members.

We were in Utrecht Monday, checking out the city center.




It is beautiful, as are all the city centers with canals and beautiful old buildings.  (and no, we didn't eat at McDonald's.....we found a Subway!)

We sat down to eat on a bench in the sun.  A grandmother sat right next to us.  She was babysitting her grandson and came to the city center to have lunch while he was in school.  She is a language tutor for refugees but laughed when I asked if she could tutor us!  We talked about families.  I told her why we were living here.  I went one step further with her and asked if she knew about the Church. She said she did...then I didn't know what to say! :(    I told her we knew families were so important.  After I got home I realized I should have given her a pamphlet of the Proclamation on the Family.  Now I have one in my purse in case the opportunity comes up again!  Like I said....baby steps!  But we are getting there with the missionaries and the Lord's help!

1 comment:

  1. Just got caught up reading your blog. I think you're having too much fun, you might never want to come home! Love and miss you both!

    ReplyDelete