Wednesday, June 14, 2017

I came....I conquered!



 As you probably know, my microwave slash/ oven has been the bane of my cooking existence since we arrived.  It’s very small, burns everything that isn’t in the very center of the oven and cooks too hot.  It took months to find a small, silver pizza pan that works perfectly for baking.  Also, because I’m not very clever….it took months to figure out that I need to cover everything with tinfoil the first 2/3 of the baking time, then uncover it to brown!  I figured out that the optimum number of cookies to bake at one time is 12, that I need to turn down the oven temperature and I’m inviting trouble if I don’t check whatever I’m baking every 10 minutes.

 
  Seven months later I have perfect enchiladas and cookies for district meeting for 10 very appreciative missionaries! 

 Then the microwave began blowing the breaker switch every time we opened the microwave door.  We figured out a workaround until the owner could fix it.  But a few weeks later I was getting mild shocks if I happened to be touching the microwave door at the same time I was removing tinfoil.  So finally we got a new/used microwave that looks exactly like the old one. 
 I began baking cookies and discovered with the first batch that even though it looks like the old one, is the same size as the old one, operates like the old one….IT ISN’T LIKE THE OLD ONE!  My first dozen cookies burnt to a crisp!  I’ll admit I was a little discouraged.  I began again to figure out the idiosyncrasies of my nemesis, the microwave/oven. 
           
This week I baked rolls for district meeting and they are PERFECT!  They are cooked perfectly and browned evenly.  I can’t even tell you how happy and satisfied I feel! 

I came…..I conquered!







                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

3 comments: