Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Thoughts on Sacrifice



Last week we had zone conference.  Elder Sabin of the Europe Area Presidency was presiding.  One of the subjects he touched on was sacrifice.  It got me thinking.  What is a sacrifice?  I first turned to the Bible Dictionary and found this:

 “Sacrifices were thus instructive as well as worshipful. They were accompanied by prayer, devotion, and dedication, and represented an acknowledgment on the part of the individual of his duty toward God, and also a thankfulness to the Lord for his life and blessings upon the earth”. 


This is a good description of our decision to serve a senior couple mission.  We came because of our desire to do our part, and to return to God in a very small way all the blessings we have received.  Our mission has been a learning experience for us, requiring much prayer along with work. 


But, someone always says, everything we have been given is the Lord’s so it’s not a sacrifice to give back.  Hmmm…but it feels like a sacrifice: )   I thought about our Savior.  His single focus was to fulfill his assignment, which was to sacrifice His life for us. If we want to be like Him, I think we must also sacrifice.   


So, what do we sacrifice by going to the Netherlands for 18 months to serve the Young Single Adults?  For me, it’s time with our family.  Watching them grow, seeing them learn new skills, and sharing new life experiences with them are the things I miss.  We often hear “when you serve, your family will be blessed”.  My dear friend told me that doesn’t mean a life of ease for them.  And she was right.  There have been issues with health, employment, family, housing, vehicles, and did I say health?!  It’s not that I think if I were there I could fix all the problems….but I could support, encourage, listen, and help them where ever possible.  I could be there for them.


So where are the blessings in the sacrifice?  They are in the extra patience, love, kindness, and service our kids are giving to one another in their efforts to fill the gap left by our leaving.  This brings us much joy! The blessings are in the growth they are all experiencing.  Mom is a big part of this love and support.  We all say “Grandma Cusick is amazing”!  and she is.  Her unconditional love and encouragement is legendary and an example for us all.




 And the blessing is in all they do for us so we can be here, doing what we want to be doing, serving the Young Single Adults in the Belgium/Netherlands Mission for 18 months. 





2 comments:

  1. I love this! I feel the blessings too, not ease, but clear blessings because of sacrifice. Like the boat starting every time st the lake this summer! Hehehe!

    ReplyDelete